Gun toting man goes on trial at Luton Crown Court


The first trial since the coronavirus lockdown began at Luton crown court on Tuesday, June 30, 2020.

The twelve jurors, six men and six women, were divided at a social distance across the whole of the courtroom, including the public gallery.

Judge Mark Bishop told them: “The public gallery is in another courtroom into which these proceedings are being live-streamed.

“This is an open process. Nothing is done in secret behind closed doors.”

Declan Rayson, 18, of Heacham Close, Luton denies possessing a prohibited firearm, a revolver with a barrel less than 30 centimetres in length, and ammunition on 18 May last year.

He also denies possessing a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence in Cumbria Close, Houghton Regis, and having a knife on the same day.

Prosecutor James Lachkovic opened the case to the jury from the witness box so he could see all twelve.

He said there was a party at a flat in Cumbria Close, Houghton Regis in the early hours of Saturday 18 May last year.

He said: “At the flat they were listening to music, some drinking and some smoking spliffs.“

Mr Lachkovic said that at some point Declan Rayson got “very angry and pulled out a knife from the waistband of his trousers.”

He alleged he was shouting and threatening a Polish man who was there.

One of the women at the party told him to calm down and he put the knife away. The prosecutor said: “Mr Rayson walked away and picked up yellow bag.

“He brought it back into the room and pulled another black bag out and pulled out a gun. “It was a small revolver. Everyone shouted: ‘Put it away.’ He shouted at the Polish man: ‘I will shoot you. I will f…… shoot you.”

He did not point the gun at the Polish man and the woman took it from here and put it back in the bag.

After the party the police were alerted at half past five that afternoon officers went to the flat. They found the bags and inside a small gun, about three or four inches in height, and some ammunition was recovered.

The defendant’s fingerprints were allegedly found on the bags. Declan Rayson was arrested.

He exercised his right not to answer questions, said the prosecutor.