Rushden man arrested in Bedford after high-speed escape from police


Rushden-man Christopher Moseley was jailed for 27 months on Tuesday, July 13, 2021 after he caused a woman he had met on Tinder to suffer a fractured sternum.

Moseley,29, had been drinking with her at her home in Needingworth, Cambs on March 26, this year. When he went to drive off she thought he had had too much to drink and she tried to stop him, Luton Crown Court heard.

As she went to the driver’s door he accelerated away and dragged her along the ground, said prosecutor Stefan Weidmann.

She suffered a fractured sternum and a large bruise to the head. Moseley was later arrested by the police in Hurst Grove, Bedford.

In a victim personal statement the woman said the impact of the injury had been “life-changing.”

She had been signed off work and was working reduced hours.

Now she is terrified of opening her door, she said. Moseley of The Forge, Rushden, Northants appeared for sentence, having admitted causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

He also admitted dangerous driving, driving with excess alcohol and failing to stop for the police in June 2019. In addition he admitted failing to surrender to custody.

Mr Weidmann said he had sped off in a dark blue pickup after the police had been called to “domestic incident”.

He drove at high speed on the wrong side of the road, at over 60mph in a 30 limit, 80 in a 60, 80 in a 40 and 110 in a 60.

At one stage he went around a group of cyclists at speed.

Moseley managed to lose the pursuing officers but they were able to stop him nearly an hour later when a ‘stinger’ was used to burst his tyres.

When he was tested for alcohol he gave a urine reading of 187 – the legal limit is 107, said Mr Weidmann.

Defending, Graham Blower said he denied being drunk when he left he woman’s house.

He said he had been reckless when he drove off. He said he had issues with depression and anxiety.

Jailing him, Judge Rebecca Herbert made a restraining order banning him from contacting the woman victim or going to Needingworth saying he had left her “badly injured.”

He was also banned from driving for six years and must take an extended retest before regaining his licence.

Referring to the driving through Northants, she said: “The group of cyclists must have been utterly terrified. You clearly put other road users at peril. It is a miracle you did not hurt or kill someone.”