Man who crashed car deliberately into house handed seven-year jail sentence

Shaun Patrick Gorman.

A MAN who drunkenly and deliberately drove his car into a house before assaulting the woman inside it has been sentenced to seven years in prison.

Shaun Patrick Gorman, 65, previously of Irthlingborough, was driving a grey Mitsubishi Shogun on the night of December 21, 2019, when he crashed through the garden fence of a property in Westfield Road, Wellingborough, and into the rear of the house, causing it significant damage.

He then got out of the car, armed with two knives, and assaulted the 24-year-old woman inside by punching her multiple times.

She suffered a fractured eye-socket as a result but thankfully made a full recovery following the incident.

At Northampton Crown Court this week, Gorman was sentenced to seven years in prison.
He was also disqualified from driving for four years and six months.

Get your daily digest of local news here:

In her sentencing remarks, Her Honour Judge Crane, said: “You had been drinking whisky and were two times over the drink drive limit.

“You drove round in a rage armed with two knives and drove deliberately though this woman’s fence and then into the house, being reckless as to the injury you might cause.

“Having driven through the wall, you then grabbed her around the throat and repeatedly punched her.

“This was done in front of her son. She was frightened for herself and her children.”

Det Sgt Ryan Catling said: “This was an exceptionally dangerous and reckless act and Gorman is lucky he did not kill anyone when he drove into this house that day.

“This was a very well-put-together case by the investigative team led by DC Norton and I am pleased that their work has concluded with a seven-year sentence.

“By getting into that car, two times over the drink drive limit, and filled with rage and frustration, Gorman showed no regard for life, and I hope this is something he reflects on during his spell in prison.

“Finally, I want to commend the victim in this case who shown a lot of courage by giving evidence in court and supporting our investigation throughout.”