Man found guilty of 2012 rape after a routine DNA swab


A MAN has been found guilty of raping a woman more than nine years ago after police took a routine DNA swab from him years later.

Martin Twort, now 31, carried out the knifepoint rape of the woman in Northamptonshire in June, 2012.

Last month he was found guilty of the rape following a trial at Northampton Crown Court during which his victim gave evidence.

The jury heard how the victim, who was then in her mid-40s, had been picked up by a man as she was walking home following a visit to Northampton General Hospital on June 10, 2012.

As she came out of a shop in Semilong, a man in a car pulled over and asked her if she wanted a lift and, feeling unwell, she accepted.

The court was told they drove around for a while, eventually heading in the direction of Kingsthorpe at which he then began to talk about sex.

The man pulled over in an isolated spot somewhere between Moulton and Pitsford and, when the victim resisted his attempts to kiss her, he produced a knife and threatened to kill her as she was dragged from the vehicle.

She was then subjected to a violent rape during which he warned her that he would kill her if she went to the police.

A security guard at Moulton College eventually found the terrified victim wandering along a road in a state at 2.10am the following day.

Subsequent medical treatment revealed large areas of bruising across her body and while statutory DNA swabs were taken on recovered bodily fluids, they provided no matches on the database and the case went unsolved for a further five years.

In July 2017, however, Twort, who now lives in Great Yarmouth, was arrested on an unrelated theft matter.

While that investigation never reached court, a DNA swab was taken as part of the inquiry which matched that of the one taken during the rape investigation of 2012 and Twort was arrested.

Twort, formerly of Byfield Road, St James, Northampton, had denied the charge, but a jury found him unanimously guilty after less than three hours of deliberation.

He was remanded in custody by Judge David Herbert QC and will appear for sentencing at Northampton Crown Court on December 16.